7.09.2011

"That I longed for a power of vision which might overpass that limit; which might reach the busy world, towns, regions full of life I had heard of but never seen: that then I desired more of practical experience than I possessed; more of intercourse with my kind, of acquaintance with variety of character, than was here within my reach. I valued what was good in Mrs. Fairfax, and what was good in Adele; but I believed in the existence of other and more vivid kinds of goodness, and what I believed in I wished to behold. 

Who blames me? Many no doubt; and I shall be called discontented. I could not help it: the restlessness was in my nature; it agitated me to pain sometimes. Then my sole relief was to walk the corridor of the third story, backwards and forwards, safe in the silence and solitude of the spot, and allow my mind's eye to dwell on whatever bright vision rose before it- and certainly they were many and glowing; to let my heart be heaved by the exultant movement which, while swelled in it trouble, expanded it with life; and best of all, to open my inward ear to a tale that was never-ended- a tale my imagination created, and narrated continuously; quickened with all of incident, life, fire, feeling, that I desired and had not in my actual existence. 

It is in vain to say human beings ought to be satisfied with tranquility: they must have action and they will make it if they cannot find it. Millions are condemned to a stiller doom than mine, and millions are in silent revolt against their lot." 

-Jane, of Charlotte Bronte's Jane Eyre

1 comment:

Jessica Holly said...

MAYBE, if you are as akin to Jane as the passage would imply...then you will very soon find your "Mr. Rochester" who has been away from home, but will return very shortly.... :)