1.23.2011

Why friendship?


"Friendship is unnecessary, like philosophy, like art... It has no survival value; rather it is one of those things that give value to survival."      -C.S. Lewis
This week I went to visit my dad's old mission companion.
I'd heard stories about him all growing up, and he teaches at my school....
so I thought to myself, I really should put forth the effort to meet him.
and I was so glad I did! We talked about our families and school a little.
Really nothing important, but as I left he very kindly said, 
"If there's anything I can ever do for you....let me know"
"I don't have much pull, but if you ever need anything, I'll do what I can"
It is such a reassuring feeling to know that there's someone on campus (aside from your peers), 
that you know is on your side and willing to help you.

Two things I learned from this experience:
1. The Importance of forming new friendships and relationships.
2. The importance, especially in college, of forming relationships with the adults who surround you. They love students, or they wouldn't be here! And we, as students, need adults in our lives. Who in college doesn't still feel like a small child most of the time? And we need the stability and wisdom of our teachers, administrators...what ever the case may be.

So I guess that's my question to ponder today, why are we here, surrounded by others, if not to build relationships with those around us? To build communities, not just residences?
What do you have to lose by making a new friend?
Go for it. Do it. It may not be easy, 
but it really is simple.


No comments: